Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Carpenters Star by Calico Carriage Quilt Designs

I came across the Carpenters Star by Calico Carriage Quilt Designs, and just had to make it.  I had been holding on to a piece of red and black print from the Tavern Red collections just waiting for the right project. I haven't found a pattern from Debbie Maddy that I didn't love.  I think they are so well written and easy to follow.  Every time I make one of their patterns, I am amazed at how fast it finishes.

My version is in Civil War fabrics.  The border is a Tavern Red paisley print.  And the star points come from many of the Civil War collections in Black and Red.  I used Moda Bella Natural for the Background and Solid Moda Bella for the borders.

You can tell it is a large 90" x 102".  If you have tried a Calico Carriage Quilt Designs patterns, then you know how easy they are to piece.  The star does not use diamonds and there are no Y seams to worry about.  My suggestion when picking one out is make sure the fabrics used are non-directional and  have enough tonal motion that when seamed together, you do not notice the seam.

I quilted with a flower meander.

I used a cream on cream for the back of the quilt and bound it with the same fabric as the Large Border.
So much fun.
Thanks for letting me share.
Cathy

4 comments:

  1. As today, Epiphany, is the last day (12th) of the Christmas season, what could be better than the Carpenter's Star? Your quilt is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Carpenter's Star. I haven't made one for a long time and perhaps it's time to pull out the pattern again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie Maddie came to our guild a workshop in the Carpenter's Star with her. I have the top pieced and then our guild did a mystery quilt with her that was very similar to it. I have never had either top quilted. After I finished the Carpenter's Star top, my husband told me that it was his favorite quilt that I had made. Unfortunately, he did two years ago and never saw it finished. I enjoyed visiting your blog and seeing all your lovely creations.

    ReplyDelete