Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Monterrey Medallion by Atkinson Designs




Hot off the Quilt Frame is the Monterrey Medallions by Atkinson Designs.

Monterrey Medallion Book

I had this pattern booklet for a while now and could not decide what colors or if I wanted to make it scrappy like the photo on the pattern booklet.  But then we started getting in all the blacks in the Inkwell and American Gothic collections.  I just knew it was perfect for this stunning quilt.  It is now hanging at the shop.



I used one solid Moda Bella Natural - 12 for the background and the Moda Bella Kansas Red -120 for the contrast fabric.  The book has patterns for two version Simple and Challenge.  We chose the Challenge version,  the main visual difference is the red fabrics.  But I think that is what gives this pattern it's AHHHH!!! 


 The center is a large star with a log type block set on point.


The stars are simple Ohio star type blocks.


The outside is a Jacobs Ladder block.  I quilted it with a medallions, feathers and in the ditch.  I finished mine as the large 90" x 90".


I picked a light piece from the American Gothic Collection for my backing and bound it with a black print.  I just loved working with a scrappy type pattern, but in one color way.  It really adds contrast and texture, without looking busy.

Thanks for letting me share.
Cathy


8 comments:

  1. Lovely! The quilting is really beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh your version is beautiful love your fabric choices and the quilting is amazing what kind of machine do you have?
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, this quilt is STUNNING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt! Monterrey Medallions is always a good choice - great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It looks stunning! To be honest, I love your color-flow more than the one in magazine. Great job! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete