Monday, April 22, 2013

I would like to start with say that I am the real winner with all the kind comments and warm welcome I have from BlogLand.  My heart is just overflowing.  Thank you everyone for your loving words.  And it was nice to hear what patterns everyone was working on or loving. 

The winner of the $25.00 gift certificate is:

Sue who wrote:



SueApril 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM
There are so many quilt block patterns that I love, but right now I am slowly working on my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt by hand piecing. I am using some 1930s fabrics to go with it. Hopefully I'll have it done before I'm ready for the nursing home! L, 2013 at 3:30 P

 
Sue I have emailed you through your blog.  Please email me back (whittlesfabrics@yahoo.com) and I will send you the Gift Certificate information.  Thanks again.
 
I was wanting to post the winner this morning, but after reading her comment.  I wanted to share a few pictures of My Grandmother's Flower Garden.  Not one that I pieced, but pieced by my Memaw Lola Mae several years ago.  My Memaw was the one who first taught me to sew.  She helped give me all my sewing love, from quilting to embroidery.  However, I have not embraced the love of hand quilting like she did, she had more patience.  So I had to wait until this afternoon, when I could get the quilt from my Mom to share with you.
 
 
This is the overall picture:  Lots of little flowers.

 This is the most amazing part to me.  The binding.  Each piece of binding is individually cut sewn on to keep the edges perfectly shaped.  The piece for the binding was cut 1 inch long.  There is a lot of little pieces all the way around the quilt. 
The individual flower pieces measure about 1 inch.  Remember I said patience.  There is 195 flowers, not counting the half flowers on the top and bottom. 
 
 
This is a close up.  Mom and I look at this quilt and see many of our scraps from our projects.  Left over pieces from my first quilt, pieces of clothing that we had made for my niece when she was a baby.  We always see something different and a new memory comes back. 
 
My Memaw passed away this year and it was nice to think of her a little extra today.
 
Hope everyone has a great Monday.   Congratulations to Sue again.
 
Thanks again for your warm welcome.
Cathy


 
 

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt and the binding is something else! Thanks for sharing this quilt as it is truly inspirational

    RJ system1001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!! and what an amazing binding that is indeed!that is an heirloom to be treasured.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful! I want to try making a small grandmothers flower garden quilt one of these days. I'm not sure I'll have the patience to do very many, but I have always loved that design! Love your blog!
    Lori in TN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such a treasure! I've never seen the binding done like that--it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure! How lucky you are to have that quilt - that binding is just amazing! I have never seen anything like it. How inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, I am so glad I just found your blog! I'm in Magnolia, Kentucky, and my nieces and I plan a visit to your shop again Saturday! Love your fabrics, prices & your great customer service. That quilt is beautiful - absolutely a treasure. What wonderful memories. So glad to see you blogging!!! Gale

    ReplyDelete